All international applicants are required to submit an official and current TOEFL or IELTS score report, with the following exceptions:
- Applicants transferring from an approved U.S. institution with 30 or more credit hours and acceptable GPA;
- Applicants demonstrating English-language proficiency using methods approved by University Admissions, including completion of a certified ELS program or Applicants with a degree from an accredited English-language university in the U.S. or another English-speaking country from the following list of countries:
Antigua, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Barbuda, Belize, Bermuda, Canada (except Quebec), Dominica, England, Eritrea, Fiji, Ghana, Grand Cayman Islands, Grenada, Ireland, Israel, Jamaica, Kenya, Malawi, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Saint Kitts & Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent & Grenadines, Scotland, South Africa, Trinidad & Tobago, Virgin Islands, Wales
- Applicants with a diploma from a U.S. high school;
The required TOEFL scores for regular NMSU admission:
- 68 on the iBT or 520 on the paper-based test for applicants to undergraduate degree programs.**
- 79 on the iBT or 550 on the paper-based test for applicants to graduate degree programs.**
**Academic departments reserve the right to require higher TOEFL/IELTS standards.
The required IELTS scores for regular NMSU admission:
- 6.0 overall for undergraduate applicants.
- 6.5 overall for graduate applicants.
Applicants may be admitted with scores lower than those listed above and in such cases would be conditional based on the TOEFL or IELTS score.
- NMSU Division of Student Affairs & Enrollment Management: University Admissions
- (575) 646-2736
- Educational Services Building, Suite 8
- MSC 3G / P.O. Box 30001, Las Cruces, NM 88003-8001