Apply for Student Visa

You must have a student visa to enter the United States.

To get a student visa, first you have to apply for NMSU and be accepted by NMSU with a Letter of Acceptance. The Letter of Acceptance is required for the visa application.


Already have a Letter of Acceptance from NMSU? Then let’s start the visa procedure.

To study at NMSU, you have to get an F-1 or J-1 visa.

If you have a letter of acceptance to NMSU, visit the homepage of the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you live to schedule a visa appointment.

The webpage usually has an explanation of student visa procedures in your native language.

Student visa procedures checklist


Please follow the checklist below to learn about immigration procedures and how to obtain an F-1 or J-1 student visa.

You have to get Form I-20 from NMSU to proceed your student visa procedures.

To get Form I-20, you need to provide NMSU

  1. Evidence of sufficient funds available for your studies
    Proof of financials must be dated within the past six months and be signed by an authorized bank or representative of a recognized sponsoring agency in the U.S.A.
  2. Copy of your passportYour passport should be valid for at least six months past their date of admission to the U.S. Copy the pages of your portrait, passport number, name, and birthday


Please submit those documents to right away; NMSU will not process the SEVIS Form I -20 (request form of F-1 visa) or Form DS-2019 (request form of J-1 visa) without receipt of your financial guarantee and passport copy.

Once you are accepted to NMSU and submit your financial guarantee, NMSU will process I-20, “Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Status”.

Once your I-20 has been processed, we will contact you to setup shipping.


To have NMSU Form I-20 shipped to you via FedEx or DHL, go to EShipGlobal’s website, for instructions.


If you are already studying in the U.S. on a SEVIS Form I-20, please inform us ( You will need to have your records transferred to NMSU by following the Transfer SEVIS Form I-20 steps.

Transferring from a U.S. school or from NMSU’s Center for English Language Program

  • Print the SEVIS Transfer ( and submit it to your current school informing your intent to enroll at NMSU.
  • Pick up the new NMSU SEVIS Form I-20 in International Students and Scholars Service when you arrive at NMSU.
  • If you are going to travel outside the U.S. before your studies at NMSU, you will need to re-enter the United States with the NMSU SEVIS Form I-20. Contact us( or call 575-646-2834) to make arrangements to receive the ASU SEVIS Form I-20 before leaving the U.S. Present the NMSU SEVIS Form I-20 at the U.S. Port of Entry.

Review and ensure that all information you wrote is correct (spelling, dates, etc.). If there are any mistakes, please contact us ( as soon as possible to have the information corrected.

You will need the SEVIS Form I-20 or Form DS-2019, your NMSU Letter of Acceptance, the Financial Guarantee form and your passport in order to obtain your student visa at the U.S. consulate nearest to you (

    • Your SEVIS Identification Number is on the top right side of the form. You will need this number for your visa application and to pay the SEVIS fee.
    • F-1 students will be permitted to enter the U.S. 30 days prior to their report date, which is No. 5 on their SEVIS Form I-20. Please note that if you enter the U.S. after the report date, you may encounter difficulty with immigration officials at the Port of Entry.

Upon receipt of SEVIS Form I-20 or Form DS-2019, you will have the information needed to pay the SEVIS Form I-901 fee. You must pay the SEVIS fee and have a receipt prior to applying for a student visa.

For more information, view the Form I-901 Fee Payment tutorial.

To schedule your interview, locate your local US Embassy or Consulate ( Each consulate sets its own timeline for accepting and processing student visa applications. If the consulate says apply “at least” 60 days before your program departure, this means no fewer than 60 days. To avoid problems, submit your visa application at the earliest date the consulate will accept it.

Please read information about nonimmigrant visa application fees..
Applicants must pay these fees as directed prior to their visa interview, and they must bring the receipt to their interview.

Start gathering the required documents for your student visa application the moment you apply to your program. Read through all information provided online by the U.S. Embassy or Consulate that you will be visiting. At your interview you will need to provide:

  • SEVIS Form I-20 or Form DS-2019 with your SEVIS record number issued by NMSU
  • a receipt of your SEVIS form I-901 fee
  • confirmation page for application form DS-160
  • passport valid for at least six months after your proposed date of entry into the U.S.
  • one 2×2 inch photograph of yourself
  • a receipt of your visa application fee(s)—pay before your appointment
  • financial evidence showing you, your parents, or your sponsor have sufficient funds to cover your tuition and living expenses during your studies
  • transcripts or diplomas from previous schools
  • scores from standardized tests required by the college, such as the TOEFL

Student visa tips and information



Go to Step 3Go to Step 5


Translate »