Mandatory New Student Check-In Requirements
Before registering for classes the first semester, all new international students must visit the ISSS Office (Educational Services Center, Suite 800) to have your immigration documents checked and physical presence reported. Please bring the following documents:
- F-1 or J-1 US Entry Visa (except Canadian or Bermudian citizens)
- I-94 (whether a hard-copy paper card; or electronic as indicated by an admission/entry stamp in passport)
- I-20 (for F-1 students) or DS-2019 (for J-1 students) issued by NMSU
- Any previously issued I-20(s) or DS-2019(s) from previous program, if applicable (This is required for transfer students)
- Any other official correspondence from USCIS, such as an I-797, if applicable
At this time, students will receive a checklist of requirements that need to be completed prior to class registration. The requirements include but are not limited to: language testing and placement (if required), international student orientation, academic advising, health insurance purchase, and tuberculosis (TB) testing. It is important for new students to arrive early to have these tasks completed before the start of classes.
English Language Testing
Language testing (the NMSU English Language Placement Test or ELPT) is conducted as part of each semester’s orientation activities. Depending on the results, students may be placed into one or more English-language courses during their first semester. Waiving or deferral of these requirements is not allowed. New students may be required to take the ELPT depending on the conditions of their admission.