Maintaining J-1 Status

Key Ways to Maintain Scholars Legally in the United States

In order to maintain legal status, NMSU J-1 Research Scholars and Professors must:

  • Maintain a valid passport (at least 6 months into the future)
    • ISSS will assist in the process of passport renewals
  • Maintain I-94 card (pertaining to mostly Mexican nationals) or I-94 digital record
  • Maintain an up-to-date DS-2019
    • Contact ISSS of any pertinent changes such as, “site of activity” or duration
  • Only perform teaching or research activities at the “site of activity” noted on your DS-2019
  • Inform the ISSS office of any incidental employment or if your “site of activity” changes
  • If applicable, request an extension PRIOR to current DS-2019 expiration date if you need more time to finish the program objective at NMSU
    • Extension requests should be made at least 3 weeks in advance
  • Report any change of home address to ISSS within 10 days of moving
  • Do not accept additional employment offers for teaching and/or research activities until you have spoken with ISSS for information and authorization
    • Do not accept work in a tenure-track position
  • Obtain a travel signature on your current DS-2019 if traveling outside the U.S.
  • After you finish your J-1 program objective, leave the U.S. within the 30-day grace period
    • Meet with ISSS if you plan to transfer out to another institution or program sponsor
    • Notify ISSS if you plan to leave NMSU early and/or at the completion of your program
  • Have health insurance for yourself and your J-2 dependents throughout entire program
  • ALWAYS read emails from ISSS, as they contain important immigration information for you.


Translate »