Pre-Arrival Information


J-1 Scholars (and their dependents) may enter the U.S. up to 30 days before the start date on the DS-2019. If there is any possibility that you will be entering after the start date on your DS-2019 please contact the inviting faculty member for approval. You will also need to obtain a corrected DS-2019 if this is the case.

Upon entering the U.S., you must report to our office no later than 3 days after your arrival. We are in Breland Hall, room 152, on NMSU’s main campus. Contact our office for any questions about where you report to check-in at 575-646-2834. We must record your arrival and program start date to the Department of State via SEVIS to ensure that you can remain in the U.S. legally. During your visit to our office, we will provide information about mandatory health insurance and Tuberculosis (TB) testing which must be done at the NMSU Campus Health Center. The current fee for TB testing is $115 and is paid at the time of testing.


There are specific health insurance requirements for all Exchange Visitors. Minimum coverage must include compensation of $50,000 for each illness or accident, $10,000 for medical evacuation, and $7,500 for repatriation of remains to the home country in case of death. If you are to be employed by NMSU, health insurance may be available for NMSU employees in certain types of employment categories. If you are not an NMSU employee, you must purchase insurance coverage for yourself and all dependents in the amounts listed above. Further information regarding health insurance will be provided when you check-in to our office.


Employment is not permitted, except as noted on the DS-2019. Contact our office if you have any questions about incidental employment related to the purpose of your visit. Honoraria for presentations, lectures, talks, or speeches at any institution apart from NMSU must be authorized in advance by our office.

J-1 Scholar Incidental Study

Scholars may enroll in an occasional class, but may not enroll in full-time degree programs. Scholars who decide to pursue a degree program must formally apply to NMSU and obtain the necessary documents to apply for a change of status. Further inquiries about the application, admission, and immigration process should be directed to the ISSS office.

J-2 Dependents

J-2 dependents may engage in full-time or part-time study, if granted a positive admissions decision. J-2 dependents interested in applying for J-2 employment authorization should contact our office. Please do not accept any compensation without speaking to ISSS beforehand.


Translate »