Visa Information

If you have a letter of acceptance from NMSU, visit a homepage of American Embassy in your
country or region to proceed with student visa procedures. They usually have precise explanation of
student visa procedures in your regional language or mother tongue.

Student visa procedures checklist


Please follow the checklist below to learn about immigration procedures and how to obtain an F-1 or J-1 student visa.

You have to get Form I-20 from NMSU to proceed your student visa procedures.

To get Form I-20, you need to provide NMSU:

  1. Evidence of sufficient funds available for your studies
    Proof of financials must be dated within the past four months and be on official letterhead.  Affidavit of support must be provided if you are not the account holder.
  2. Copy of your passport
    Your passport should be valid for at least six months prior to your date of entry to the U.S. Copy the biographical page of your passport.


Please submit those documents to NMSU cannot process the SEVIS Form I -20 (request form of F-1 visa) or Form DS-2019 (request form of J-1 visa) without submission of your financials and valid passport copy.

Once you are accepted to NMSU and submit proof of finances, NMSU will process your I-20, “Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Status”.

Once your I-20 has been processed, we will contact you to setup shipping.


To set up shipping for your I-20, go to EShipGlobal’s website, for instructions.


If you are already studying in the U.S. with a valid I-20, please inform us ( You will need to have your SEVIS record transferred to NMSU by following the Transfer SEVIS Form I-20 steps.

Transferring from a U.S. school or from NMSU’s Center for English Language Program

  • Print the SEVIS Transfer ( and Admission letter and submit it to your current school DSO informing them of your admission at NMSU.
  • Pick up the new NMSU I-20 at International Student and Scholar Services when you arrive at NMSU or arrange for shipping prior to your arrival at NMSU.
  • If you are going to travel outside the U.S. before your studies at NMSU, you will need to re-enter the United States with the NMSU I-20.  Make sure your F-1 visa and passport still have validity for 6 months.  You can contact us ( or call 575-646-2834) to make arrangements to receive the I-20 before leaving the U.S. Present the NMSU I-20 at the U.S. Port of Entry.

Review and ensure that all information you wrote is correct (spelling, dates, etc.). If there are any mistakes, please contact us ( as soon as possible to have the information corrected.

You will need the SEVIS Form I-20 or Form DS-2019, your NMSU Letter of Acceptance, proof of financials, and your passport in order to obtain your student visa at the U.S. consulate nearest to you (

    • Your SEVIS Identification Number is on the top left side of the form (N00xxxxxxxx). You will need this number for your visa application and to pay the SEVIS fee.
    • F-1 students will be permitted to enter the U.S. 30 days prior to their Program Start Date listed on the I-20. Please note that if you enter the U.S. after the report date, you may encounter difficulty with immigration officials at the Port of Entry.

Upon receipt of your I-20 or DS-2019, you will have the information needed to pay the SEVIS Form I-901 fee. You must pay the SEVIS fee and have a receipt prior to applying for a student visa.

You can pay your fee at For more information, view the Form I-901 Fee Payment tutorial.

To schedule your interview, locate your local US Embassy or Consulate ( Each consulate sets its own timeline for accepting and processing ( student visa applications. If the consulate says apply “at least” 60 days before your program departure, this means no fewer than 60 days. To avoid problems, submit your visa application at the earliest date the consulate will accept it.

Please read information about nonimmigrant visa application fees..
Applicants must pay these fees as directed prior to their visa interview, and they must bring the receipt to their interview.

Start gathering the required documents for your student visa application the moment you apply to your program. Read through all information provided online by the U.S. Embassy or Consulate that you will be visiting. At your interview you will need to provide:

  • Form I-20 or Form DS-2019 with your SEVIS record number issued by NMSU
  • a receipt of your SEVIS form I-901 fee
  • confirmation page for application form DS-160
  • passport valid for at least six months after your proposed date of entry into the U.S.
  • one 2×2 inch photograph of yourself
  • a receipt of your visa application fee(s)—pay before your appointment
  • financial evidence showing you, your parents, or your sponsor have sufficient funds to cover your tuition and living expenses during your studies
  • transcripts or diplomas from previous schools
  • scores from standardized tests required by the college, such as the TOEFL

Student visa tips and information

  • Letter of acceptance
  • Financial guarantee or Bank Statement
  • Passport copy

  • Dependent’s passport copy
  • Spouse $4,000 additional
  • Child $2,500 additional
  • Marriage certificate in English


Translate »